Coffee Talk

Writings by Edward Patrick Kranz (Ezju) about fine art created with coffee. You will find detailed information on Ezju’s works created at No Such Animal Studios and information about other artists who use coffee as a medium.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I'll have to think about this one a minute or two. Check back.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Pretty Face of Serendipity!

After contacting the first 4 of the 6 coffee artists that I’m aware of serendipity showed her pretty face! Karen Eland of 100% Coffee Art happened to be coming to Seattle to install a mural at a new Espresso Vivace! As soon as the café opens up I’ll take a trip down to see it. Most likely it will be here in the blog very soon.

I had the pleasure of Karen’s company on March 6th. She came to my studio in downtown Seattle for a short spell to see some of my work, discuss the pending multi-coffee artist shows in Erie and Seattle, and the work of other coffee artists.

It occurred to me during our conversation that the other coffee artist may not be aware of the others. I had found Karen, Angel and Andy, Mira and a few others with a Google search. This was prompted by a frequent question. “This is highly original. Is there anyone else painting with coffee?” I didn’t know the answer to this question so I Google.

Karen was aware of Angel and Andy while more recently me because I contacted her about the shows. The others she was not familiar with. Artists like Peigna who have been using coffee as an artistic medium since 1980 and Saul Bolanz who uses coffee extracts to make a photographic emulsion were news to her. Not surprising, Peigna site was down for quite a while and doesn’t come up near the top of the searches either. If you haven’t seen his work before please take a minute to view it. Very unique and full of energy.

Karen is a very down to earth and unassuming person. Her personality is definitely reflected in her work. She is extremely talented but has a light hearted approach to her work. This was clear from our conversation. It will be a pleasure to participate in a show with her. I think Seattlites will appreciate her subtle humor and thoughtful brush work.

After talking to Karen about the very diverse and distinct styles that all the different coffee artists are able to achieve with this uncommon medium I became more determined to help promote this medium. I’m more than excited about the prospect of an international multi-coffee artist show in Seattle bringing together the talents of many fine artists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home