Coffee Talk

Writings by Edward Patrick Kranz (Ezju) about fine art created with coffee. You will find detailed information on Ezju’s works created at No Such Animal Studios and information about other artists who use coffee as a medium.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I'll have to think about this one a minute or two. Check back.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Receiving envelopes reeking of Nescafe was odd . . .Antjuan Oden’s Coffee Paintings

I had heard stories about someone very much like Antjuan Oden though from the bio I read on Garde Rail Gallery is the person I’m thinking about or not. Reg’s web site I’m not sure if thisardless, his coffee painting is very intriguing. I’ve included some quotes from the Garde Rail Gallery’s site and images of Antjuan Oden’s work. For more information on this curiosity please vist Garde Rail Gallery’s site for full text and more paintings. I’ll look into whether or not this is the same person I have heard about or not before I write any more on the matter.

Antjuan Oden

He paints on found objects, using paper and wood, large pieces and small. Employing mainly acrylics, he will also incorporate ink and chalk into his paintings, coating everything with a polyurethane finish for protection and shine. Symbols are found in his work, and Antjuan will often write on his art. He is constantly painting or writing (he has a couple of plays in the works and writes poetry), and is always experimenting with media and ideas. "I have to express myself, it's constant, and it's always coming out of me. My work has really changed since moving to the Northwest, it's real exciting."

Using bits of rolled up tissue paper as brushes, Antjuan painted these pieces with coffee as his paint. Scraps of paper served as Antjuan's canvas. He completed nearly 75 pieces and mailed them to us.

Receiving envelopes reeking of Nescafe was odd, but opening them to discover what was inside was fascinating. The depth of these pieces is astounding; the complexity, the darkness, the sense of humor, the reoccurring characters, all contribute to an amazing body of work. When we later spoke with Antjuan and the conditions under which these pieces were completed was revealed, it only added to our amazement. It is this body of work that helps to exemplify the commitment to create that resides within Antjuan.

Garde Rail Gallery specializing in self-taught, folk & outsider art

GALLERY ADDRESS
110 Third Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98104

TELEPHONE
206.621.1055

EMAIL: gallery@garde-rail.com
WEBSITE: http://www.garde-rail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home