Coffee Talk

Writings by Edward Patrick Kranz (Ezju) about fine art created with coffee. You will find detailed information on Ezju’s works created at No Such Animal Studios and information about other artists who use coffee as a medium.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I'll have to think about this one a minute or two. Check back.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

There is still a lot of ground to cover in legitimizing the use of edibles in art

A colleague of mine, Leslie Riches, recently curated a show at the Kirkland Arts Center with food not only as the subject matter but also the medium. The show, Menu: Edible Elements of Art, is running from May 12th through June 3rd, 2006. About 2 years ago she curated another show, You Wear What You Eat: The Sociology, Politics, And Joy of Food, with a similar theme. In addition to curating food themed shows she uses food in her own artwork as well.

Another interesting show Eat Art: Joseph Beuys, Dieter Roth, Sonja Alhäuser at the Busch-Reisinger Museum (October 5th – December 16th, 2001) used food as a medium to address concerns of social change, satire and pleasure. In this show the “plexiglass” covers were edible and eaten during the course of the show! I recommend the Art in Progress link at the bottom of the page featuring Sonja Alhäuser edible art.

In a recent e-mail Leslie told me that people have suggested to her that she stop using food in her art and curating. How absurd! I wonder what those people think art is. Both Menu and Eat Art are based on our cultures relationship with our food; good and bad.

Leslie wrote “I think there is still so much to say with it and so much to do toward legitimizing and unifying the use of edibles in art.” I couldn’t agree with her more. As early as the Dadaists in the 1920’s edible materials have been used as a powerful metaphor and equalizer commenting on consumption, politics or just for making art for arts sake.

In my own art I use coffee as a medium and device to comment on cultural issues. Response to my work has been very positive. In March of 2007 I plan to paint on a small farm in Guatemala with their coffee. In the next year I plan to curate a show featuring artwork derived from coffee. If all goes as planned there will be artist from around the world participating. I’ll keep you posted on that one!

I hope Leslie continues her art and curating using food. There is still a lot of ground to cover in legitimizing the use of edibles in art. This is one of the reasons Menu was so important to me. Those who get it really appreciate it. Those who don’t can buy Shopping Mall prints and be content.

For more information on Ezju and No Such Animal Studios please visit his Web site at http://www.nosuchanimal.net/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home